Friday, January 6, 2012

Metamorphoses

Scurries from one side of her room to another,
Her short, black hair scruffed up on one end.
Asks me which hat is better,
Applies deodorant.
Deodorant?
I comment that Asians do not need it.
She thus imparts:
At the ripe old age of 36, it is now a must.

My fifth year college reunion comes to mind,
As does my 26 year old pits,
Reading my thoughts,
'No, it won't happen in your 20s.'

More examples are presented.
Gym once a month in your 20s = sexy ab
Gym once a month in your 30s = light flab

I contend that maybe it is a Korean thing.
Northern latitude, too much kimchi, kim jong il-infected water system.
Forget the fact that she was adopted from Seoul,
By Americans, and has never had kimchi.
Her eyes merry,
'Maybe your fucking gift-from-god Taiwanese genes will spare you then.'

One is allowed to hope,
But also allowed to be fascinated by our own metamorphoses.
Like, when did turning 30 mean turning into a white girl?

And like, I am soooo not even Taiwanese.
Like.
OMG.
Hair
twirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment