Saturday, July 7, 2012

I speak on top of your words

Is it not enough to point to the shrimp strewn across my front steps? we've shattered water
we build cities off this -- as I stumble, misfiring words that scale on top of yours
I've dipped into your wavelength and lept out just in time to stand on solid ground
you leap from my bed, drowning

This is not our proudest moment

Rewind: a 15 minute debate over whether to order dessert or a digestif ends in no thanks
out waitress clearly hates us almost as much as we hate ourselves
I contemplate hiding under the table as you announce,
"All done!" like a 4 year old boy that can't be trusted

I'm had at dates, you see that
the plurality of you does not comfort me
I struggle to imagine you, my audience, and not to re-imagine myself from your vantage point

do you see me?
and that is the question
How is this my best dress that I chose to pose in?
this is the question: can't we take off. everything
and then walk till this powdered mildew is sponged off our sticky skin

No comments:

Post a Comment