Tuesday, July 3, 2012

IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL


I’m stronger than I look.
I know because I’ve seen
myself from the inside
wimping out
and out and out
to the edges.

don’t make me jump
into anything.
even water, which I love.
if you’re not careful
you might mistake anxiety
for excitement.
it could always be worse.

when I can
I take
a spontaneous nap.
me and the girls wear sunglasses to the playground.
we hold hands across the street
make a chain with our sticky fingers
and it feels good.

someone’s building a bar
beneath a bar
and I keep hearing about it.
keep hearing the chandeliers
shake over my head
the glittering glass clinking in the light.
the ceiling is so far away sometimes.
I’d like to have a drink.
I’d like to say hello.
I’d like to see the details painted
here on the wall.

I’ve done errands around myself in loops
linking my stops together
gathering what I need.

I’ve got to get out.
I’ve got to get my hands dirty.
I’ve got to brush my teeth
before I do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment