Monday, January 30, 2012

Evelyn

My Grandma Evie had big boobs like me
That bounced when she laughed
On Christmas she wore reindeer sweatshirts
and the reindeer pranced when she laughed

My Grandma Evie used to check to see if we were cold
by sticking her hand down the front of our shirt
pressing against our chests
with her frozen wrinkled hands

My Grandma Evie didn't have much money
so she always gave us 5 dollars in cash
on Birthdays and Holidays
we got kitten puzzles and jazz cassettes

My Grandma Evie lived alone
because she was divorced
Poppy cheated on her,
was a drunk and a bad dad
but I still loved him the most

My Grandma Evie died a year ago
My mom and dad sat with her and
watched as her eyes rolled back
and she took her last breath
asking them, am i dead yet?

My Grandma Evie always kept pictures of
her grandchildren around her television set
She organized family reunions
where she spoke of the time they lived in Rifton
and how she wished that she still did

No comments:

Post a Comment